Centres & Platforms
e-Sling - Development and construction of an electric four-seater aircraft
Twelve ETH students from the fields of mechanical and electrical engineering are developing a four-seater electric aircraft with a modular battery system based on a Sling TSi as part of an ETH focus project. A highly efficient electric drive train with a newly developed modular battery system and innovative cooling system will be developed and installed. The aircraft will be built according to the rules of the Swiss Federal Office of Civil Aeronautics (BAZL) in order to be certified as "experimental".
Over a period of 8 months, 12 mechanical and electrical engineering students from ETH Zurich develop a 4-seater electric aircraft with a modular battery system based on a sling TSi as part of an ETH focus project. The focus project started in September 2020 and ends in May 2021 with the rollout at ETH Zurich.
During this period, a highly efficient electric drive train with a newly developed modular battery system and innovative cooling system will be developed and installed. The aircraft will be built according to the rules of the Swiss Federal Office of Civil Aviation FOCA (BAZL) to be certified as „experimental“.
Why is e-Sling required for the future?
1. Environment: For the first time in human history we can make air
transport sustainable and reduce CO2 emissions by 100% and noise pollution by 75%!
2. Technology: With the ETH focus project we are building a fully electric aircraft with the world’s largest battery range. In cooperation with ABB, Sling Aircraft, Airmaster and other partners, we aim to conduct ground-breaking scientific research in the aviation industry.
3. Economic efficiency: Compared to today’s internal combustion engine, the electric drive will enable us to increase energy efficiency by 200% and reduce operating costs by 40% to 60%.
How does e-Sling differentiate itself?
1. Modular batteries: The special feature of our project is the modular
battery system with innovative cooling system. Unused passenger seats can be equipped with battery range extenders in a simple „plug-in“ procedure.
2. Enormous range: Based on a 4-passenger aircraft structure and due to the energy-efficient power train with modular batteries, we can significantly increase the range and set new standards in electric aviation.
3. Project Set-Up: The e-Sling focus project is an alliance of talented ETH engineers and established industrial partners working hand in hand. The project serves as a scientific platform to reach new horizons in aviation.